April 17-19, 2015
Return to your College on the Mountain for a weekend celebrating the PUC experience, reminiscing with friends, and recalling the countless special memories you made during your college years.
Friday, April 17
2:00pm – 5:00pm: PUC TALKS (Scales Chapel)
Sixty-five years with history: a historian becomes an 'historical':
Five years at PUC Prep-PUC (1950-55) became a platform/springboard for a longer career in history that could have been imagined, from the golden age of the American university to the beginning of its extensive transformation, accompanied by the grave decline of historical study.
Liquid Temple: The Impossible River of the Sanctuary:
Seventh-day Adventists have historically had a special interest in what the Bible says about the earthly sanctuary and temples as well as the ministry of Jesus Christ, our great High Priest, in the heavenly temple. One aspect of this focus, however, that has been largely unrecognized and unappreciated within Seventh-day Adventism is that of the ministry of the Spirit of Jesus. In this presentation I will be highlighting current research I’m engaged in on how the Spirit of Jesus is an integral part of the sanctuary teachings about Jesus, our High Priest.
Spiritual Labor: Coping with Dissent and Dissonance:
This talk will first offer a brief overview of what the study of “communication” entails in the interpersonal, small group, nonverbal, and intercultural contexts. The focus will then turn to the organizational context and share research that addresses the following questions: In organizations that expect or require adherence to spiritual expectations or beliefs, what communicative practices do organizational members employ when they do not personally hold those beliefs? What is the impact of dissonance that may come with publicly appearing to comply with spiritual expectations, but privately practicing or believing differently?
How to Eradicate Malaria…the Old Fashioned Way:
I’ll be discussing how many countries, including the USA eradicated malaria and why those methods weren’t made available to the rest of the world and why they should be.
5:45pm – 7:30pm: Honored Alumni Reception Dinner (Dining Commons, $10/person)
- Stanley G. Payne, Ph.D., ‘55
- Jerold Beeve, M.D., ‘61 and Dorothy (Dunscombe) Beeve, ‘63
- Judy (Olson) Aitken, ’65
- Norman Low, M.D., ‘76 and Carolyn (Lai) Low, ‘74
- James Appel, M.D., att. ’94-‘95
7:45pm – 8:00pm: In Memoriam (Church Sanctuary)
8:00pm – 9:15pm: Vespers - James Appel, M.D., att. ’94-‘95 (Church Sanctuary)
Sabbath, April 18
8:00am – 9:30am: Continental Breakfast (Dining Commons, no charge but RSVP)
9:45am – 11:00am: Alumni Sabbath School (Paulin Hall)
11:15am – 12:30pm: Worship Service -Jon Dybdahl, Ph.D., ‘65 (Church Sanctuary)
12:30pm – 2:30pm: Alumni Luncheon (Dining Commons, $10/person)
2:30pm – 5:30pm: Miscellaneous Events
- Wilmer C. Hansen Biology Museum, Clark Hall, 2 to 3 p.m.
- Walt Kelly & Student Art Exhibits, Rasmussen Art Gallery, 2 to 5 p.m.
- PUC Archives Exhibit, Nelson Memorial Library, 2 to 4 p.m.
- Friends of Walter C. Utt and Library Phase II Groundbreaking, Nelson Memorial Library, 2:30 to 4 p.m.
- Facilities Management Department Reunion, Facilities Management, 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Nursing Department Tea, Davidian Hall, 3 to 4 p.m.
4:00pm – 5:00pm: PUC Music Department Concert (Paulin Hall)
5:30pm – 7:00pm: Alumni Concert Series: The Wedgwood Trio (Dauphinee Chapel in Winning Hall)
7:00pm – 10:00pm: Class and Departmental Reunion Parties
- Business Club/Lary Taylor Retirement Celebration in the Fireside Room (7 p.m., full meal, no charge)
- 1965: Home of Nancy (Neal) Aaen, M.D., ’65 (7:15 pm, full meal, $10/person)
- 1975: Pizzeria Tra Vigne (7:30 pm, open menu, $15/person)
- 1955: Dining Commons Side Room A-B (7:30 pm, full meal, no charge)
- Young Alumni/SA Party on the Campus Mall (8 pm, food available for purchase)
8:00pm – 11:00pm: Alumni Basketball Games (Women – 8pm, Men – 9:30pm, Pacific Auditorium)
Sunday, April 19
8:00am – 10:00am: Back Forty Bike Ride with James Appel (Airport Parking Lot)
11:00am – 2:00pm Alumni Volleyball Games (Women – 11 am, Men – 12:30 pm, Pacific Auditorium)
12:00pm – 1:30pm: Alumni Men’s Soccer Game (Athletic Track & Field)
For questions or to register for PUC’s 2015 Homecoming, call the Alumni Office at (707) 965-7500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org